Christmas vacation is HERE!!! School break means lots of baking, crafts, some travel, lots of loved ones and visiting, some cool activities and so on. However, my kids will not let winter break pass without a couple of FAMILY GAME NIGHTS! Now I could tell you the happy & sunny personalities is all you need for a great game night, and there would be some truth to that, but a few other things do help! So here is a list for some great ideas to get things rolling…
- Food- Let’s face it folks, people gather where there is good food! Make some treats, even if it’s last minute, break out the popcorn, chips & salsa, cookie jar, maybe a small junk food stash, etc. On our somewhat planned family game nights, I just whip up some taco meet, we always have salsa and a can of nacho cheese in our pantry; we make a “nacho buffet”. If I have at least a couple hours or think we might have a day coming up we’ve stocked up on a full taco/ nacho buffet bar OR we do hot subs & munchies. Find my quick recipes for those here. **Now don’t be alarmed, family game night DOES NOT have to be binge night either. There are so many healthy snacks out there that taste awesome! Even a fruit & veggie platter! During Christmas break, we tend to avoid sugars with flu & cold seasons and all the visiting that already has plenty of sugar and we’ll do hot subs, veggie & fruit tray with dip OR sliced meats & cheeses with the different varieties of crackers. The kids stay excited, since we always try to find some “new” to us flavor or cracker, if unavailable, we just make sure to select a favorite!
- Drinks- Even if it’s last minute, run to the gas station or store and get some sodas, Kool-Aid, etc. Better yet, mix and make a punch with some juice. Again, it doesn’t have to be fancy, but if time permits, the kids will love a “new drink”. An example for us was when apple soda came out, it was a hit at our house! Soda is not a regular thing at our house; so we bought a couple packs and left them in the basement just for special occasions or family game nights. *Don’t forget about warm drinks too. An easy fix we always have in our home is hot chocolate or tea, these are great too!
- Pillows, Cushions, etc.- something to set out and sprawl out on the floor with.
- Blankets, throws, etc.- Anything that helps everyone get comfy. Our kids play board games often, but family game night is a marathon of games the kids love and stack up on “what’s next”! So, get comfy, everyone will enjoy themselves so much more!!!
- GAMES- certainly not last, but pick out some games. Must haves for the kids were : (in order from the little to the older) were Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land, Mancala, Checkers, Pie Face, & Trouble, to Operation, Mousetrap, Sorry, Battleship, Chess, The game of LIFE, Apples to Apples, Monopoly, UPWords, Scrabble, Clue, Ticket to Ride, Risk, and Bohnanza. Even my 1st grader will take part in all but the last 2, he will team up, but they do get long. HOWEVER, is you have mostly teens and up, the games now are amazing. My oldest has found so many treasures, I know he’ll love to play them as his siblings get older. Check out this awesome game list put out by Ranker.
So, whether you bake together, find some treats, make some cocoa or decorate some cookies, HAVE FUN! Enjoy those precious days you have together and bring them to mom’s fun house! Have fun on you winter break or Christmas vacation! Happy Homemaking!
You must be logged in to post a comment.